On Jan. 28, 2019, ACEP released a framework of proposed solutions to protect emergency patients from surprise billing. The proposed solutions include:
- Prohibit balance billing
- Streamline the process to ensure patients only have a single point of contact for emergency medical billing and payment
- Ensure the patient responsibility for out-of-network emergency care is no higher than it would be in network
- Require insurers to more clearly convey beneficiary plan details
- Require insurers to more clearly explain policyholders’ rights related to emergency care
- Take the patient out of insurer-provider billing disputes
Read the full release with more details about this framework.