- In 2017 60% of U.S. gun deaths were due to suicide (source)
- Nationally 90% of suicide attempts with a gun are fatal (source, source, source)
- Firearm suicide rates are highest in the intermountain area (Nevada, Utah, and parts of Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico) and rural areas. (source)
- Firearm suicides are rarely reported by the news media unless they happen in a public space or are a murder-suicide. (source, source)
- Asking suicidal patients about firearm access may help with risk stratification and intervention. (source)
- Currently <50% of suicidal patients discharged home are asked about firearm access prior to discharge. (source)
Suicide Awareness Week is Sept. 8–14. Watch for more information from ACEP soon.
Compiled by AFFIRM research.