Dr. Lee is director of innovation and assistant professor of clinical emergency medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 39 – No 11 – November 2020
- In this study, nearly 5 percent of patients with COVID-19 who were discharged home from the emergency department required hospital admission within 72 hours. More than 8 percent of patients required hospital admission within one week.
- Risk factors for returning to the hospital included age greater than 60, abnormal findings on chest X-ray, and fever or hypoxia upon presentation for the initial ED visit. Additional risk factors for returning within one week included obesity and hypertension.
- Emergency clinicians should discuss with patients the possibility of delayed worsening of COVID-19 illness. Patients may benefit from collaboration with outpatient clinicians or innovative monitoring systems to ensure that their symptoms can be followed while at home.
- Interim clinical guidance for management of patients with confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Accessed June 1, 2020.
- Gandhi RT, Lynch JB, Del Rio C. Mild or moderate Covid-19 [published online ahead of print April 24, 2020]. N Engl J Med. doi: 10.1056/NEJMcp2009249.
- Tenforde MW, Kim SS, Lindsell CJ, et al. Symptom duration and risk factors for delayed return to usual health among outpatients with COVID-19 in a multistate health care systems network – United States, March-June 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:993-998.
- Kilaru AS, Lee K, Snider CK, et al. Return hospital admissions among 1419 COVID-19 patients discharged from five U.S. emergency departments. Acad Emerg Med. 2020;27(10):1039-1042.
- Cheng J, Shroff A, Khan N, et al. Emergency department return visits resulting in admission: do they reflect quality of care? Am J Med Qual. 2016;31(6):541-551.
- Morgan AU, Balachandran M, Do D, et al. Remote monitoring of patients with Covid-19: cesign, implementation, and outcomes of the first 3,000 patients in COVID Watch. NEJM Catal Innov Care Deliv. 2020;10.1056/CAT.20.0342.