- Mutty CE, Jensen EJ, Manka Jr MA, Anders MJ, Bone LB. Femoral nerve block for diaphyseal and distal femoral fractures in the emergency department. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2007;89(12):2599.
- Baker BC, Buckenmaier C, Narine N, et al. Battlefield anesthesia: Advances in patient care and pain management. Anesthesiol. Clinics 2007;25(1):131-45.
- Malchow RJ, Black IH. The evolution of pain management in the critically ill trauma patient: Emerging concepts from the global war on terrorism. Crit. Care Med. 2008;36(7 Suppl):S346-57.
- Grabinsky A, Sharar SR. Regional anesthesia for acute traumatic injuries in the emergency room. Expert Rev. Neurother. 2009;9(11):1677-90.
- Fletcher AK, Rigby AS, Heyes FL. Three-in-one femoral nerve block as analgesia for fractured neck of femur in the emergency department: A randomized, controlled trial. Ann. Emerg. Med. 2003;41(2):227-33.
- Foss NB, Kristensen BB, Bundgaard M, et al. Fascia iliaca compartment blockade for acute pain control in hip fracture patients: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Anesthesiology 2007;106(4):773.
- Beaudoin FL, Nagdev A, Merchant RC, Becker BM. Ultrasound-guided femoral nerve blocks in elderly patients with hip fractures. Am. J. Emerg. Med. 2010;28(1):76-81.
- Karagiannis G, Hardern R. Best evidence topic report: No evidence found that a femoral nerve block in cases of femoral shaft fractures can delay the diagnosis of compartment syndrome of the thigh. EMJ 2005;22(11):814.
- Winnie AP, Ramamurthy S, Durrani Z. The inguinal paravascular technique of lumbar plexus anesthesia: The 3-in-1 block. Anesth. Analg. 1973;52(6):989-96.
- Dolan J, Williams A, Murney E, Smith M, Kenny GN. Ultrasound guided fascia iliaca block: A comparison with the loss of resistance technique. Reg. Anesth. Pain Med. 2008;33(6):526.
- Capdevila X. Ultrasound guidance for nerve blocks: Principles and practical implementation. Anesth. Analg. 2009;109(4):1355.
Explore This IssueACEP News: Vol 30 – No 12 – December 2011
Dr. Herring is Chief Resident at the Alameda County Medical Center, Highland General Hospital, in Oakland, Calif. Dr. Stone and Dr. Nagdev are attending physicians at Alameda County Medical Center, Highland General Hospital. Dr. Robert C. Solomon is Medical Editor of ACEP News and editor of the Focus On series, core faculty in the emergency medicine residency at Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, and Assistant Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia.
Dr. Herring, Dr. Stone, Dr. Nagdev, and Dr. Solomon have disclosed that they have no significant relationships with or financial interests in any commercial companies that pertain to this article.
ACEP makes every effort to ensure that contributors to College-sponsored programs are knowledgeable authorities in their fields. Participants are nevertheless advised that the statements and opinions expressed in this article are provided as guidelines and should not be construed as College policy. The material contained herein is not intended to establish policy, procedure, or a standard of care. The views expressed in this article are those of the contributors and not necessarily the opinion or recommendation of ACEP. The College disclaims any liability or responsibility for the consequences of any actions taken in reliance on those statements or opinions.