Dr. Schwarz is associate professor of emergency medicine and medical toxicology section chief at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 38 – No 03 – March 2019
Dr. Waller is a fellow at The National Center for Complex Health and Social Needs and managing partner at Complex Care Consulting LLC.
- https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/heroin.htmlHeroin overdose data. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention websit. Accessed Feb. 22, 2019.
- Dowell D, Haegerich TM, Chou R. CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain–United States, 2016. JAMA. 2016;315(15):1624-1645.
- Opioid use in Missouri: opioid prescribing guidelines. Missouri Hospital Association website. Accessed Feb. 22, 2019.
- S 826, 99th Leg, 2nd Sess (Mo 2018). Accessed Feb. 22, 2019.
- Joseph A. The surgeon general and his brother: a family’s painful reckoning with addiction. STAT website. Accessed Feb. 22, 2019.
- Barnett ML, Olenski AR, Jena AB. Opioid-prescribing patterns of emergency physicians and risk of long-term use. N Engl J Med. 2017;376(7):663-673.
- Schwarz E. Unpacking the opioid blame game. Emergency Physicians Monthly website. Accessed Feb. 22, 2019.
- Alam A, Gomes T, Zheng H, et al. Long-term analgesic use after low-risk surgery: a retrospective cohort study. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(5):425-430.
- Clarke H, Soneji N, Ko DT, et al. Rates and risk factors for prolonged opioid use after major surgery: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2014;348:g1251.
- Butler MM, Ancona RM, Beauchamp GA, et al. Emergency department prescription opioids as an initial expsoure preceding addiction. Ann Emerg Med. 2016;68(2):202-208.
- Shah A, Hayes CJ, Martin BC. Characteristics of initial prescription episodes and likelihood of long-term opioid use – United States, 2006-2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66(10):265-269.
- Marcusa DP, Mann RA, Cron DC, et al. Prescription opioid use among opioid-naive women undergoing immediate breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(6):1081-1090.
- Brummett CM, Waljee JF, Goesling J, et al. New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults. JAMA Surg. 2017;152(6):e170504.
- Chai PR, Carreiro S, Innes BJ, et al. Oxycodone ingestion patterns in acute fracture pain with digital pills. Anesth Analg. 2017;125(6):2105-2112.
- Howard R, Fry B, Gunaseelan V, et al. Association of opioid prescribing with opioid consumption after surgery in Michigan. JAMA Surg. 2018:e184234.