Dr. Otugo is a health policy research and translation fellow at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 40 – No 02 – February 2021
- Harwell D. Federal study confirms racial bias of many facial-recognition systems, casts doubt on their expanding use. Washington Post website. Accessed Jan. 28, 2021.
- Sjoding MW, Dickson RP, Iwashyna TJ, et al. Racial bias in pulse oximetry measurement. N Engl J Med. 2020;383(25):2477-2478.
- Feiner JR, Severinghaus JW, Bickler PE. Dark skin decreases the accuracy of pulse oximeters at low oxygen saturation: the effects of oximeter probe type and gender. Anesth Analg. 2007;105(6 Suppl):S18-23.
- RECOVERY Collaborative Group; Horby P, Lim WS, Emberson JR, et al. Dexamethasone in hospitalized patients with Covid-19 – preliminary report [published online ahead of print July 17, 2020]. N Engl J Med. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2021436.
- TorjesenI. Covid-19: patients to use pulse oximetry at home to spot deterioration. BMJ. 2020;371:m4151.