Dr. Blackstock is CEO and founder of Advancing Health Equity.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 38 – No 11 – November 2019
- Hall WJ, Chapman MV, Lee KM, et al. Implicit racial/ethnic bias among health care professionals and its influence on health care outcomes: a systematic review. Am J Public Health. 2015;105(12):e60-e76.
- Howell EA. Reducing disparities in severe maternal morbidity and mortality. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2018;61(2):387-399.
- The State of Health Disparities in the United States. In: National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; Weinstein J, Geller A, Negussie Y, et al, eds. Communities in Action: Pathways to Health Equity. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2017.
- Holroyd J, Sweetman J. The Heterogeneity of Implicit Bias. In: Brownstein M, Saul J, eds. Implicit Bias and Philosophy, Volume 1: Metaphysics and Epistemology 1. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2016:80-103.
- Dehon E, Weiss N, Jones J, et al. A systematic review of the impact of physician implicit racial bias on clinical decision making. Acad Emerg Med. 2017;24(8):895-904.
- Zestcott CA, Blair IV, Stone J. Examining the presence, consequences, and reduction of implicit bias in health care: a narrative review. Group Process Intergroup Relat. 2016;19(4):528-542.
- Chapman EN, Kaatz A, Carnes M. Physicians and implicit bias: how doctors may unwittingly perpetuate health care disparities. J Gen Intern Med. 2013;28(11):1504-1510.
- Ross H. Everyday bias: further explorations into how the unconscious mind shapes our world at work. Cook Ross web site.. Accessed Oct. 17, 2019.
- Devine PG, Forscher PS, Austin AJ, et al. Long-term reduction in implicit race bias: a prejudice habit-breaking intervention. J Exp Soc Psychol. 2012;48(6):1267-1278.