Dr. Schneider is director of EM practice at ACEP and a member of the ACEP Now editorial advisory board.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 34 – No 12 – December 2015
- Suicide facts. Suicide Awareness Voices of Education website. Accessed Oct. 16, 2015.
- Suicide risk reduction FAQs. The Joint Commission website. Accessed Oct. 16, 2015.
- Brim C, Lindauer C, Halpern J, et al. Clinical practice guideline: suicide risk assessment. Emergency Nurses Association website. Accessed Oct. 16, 2015.
- Ahmedani BK, Stewart C, Simon GE, et al. Racial/ethnic differences in health care visits made before suicide attempt across the United States. Med Care. 2015;53:430-435.
- Ahmedani BK, Simon GE, Stewart C, et al. Health care contacts in the year before suicide death. J Gen Intern Med. 2014;29:870-877.
- LeFevre ML, US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for suicide risk in adolescents, adults, and older adults in primary care: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:719-726.
- Davis KN. Detecting suicide risk in adolescents and adults in an emergency department: a pilot study. Illinois Wesleyan University website. Accessed Oct. 16, 2015.
- Folse VN, Eich KN, Hall AM, et al. Detecting suicide risk in adolescents and adults in an emergency department: a pilot study. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2006:44:22-29.
- Betz ME, Arias SA, Miller M, et al. Change in emergency department providers’ beliefs and practices after use of new protocols for suicidal patients. Psychiatr Serv. 2015;66:625-631.
- Knesper DJ, American Association of Suicidology, Suicide Prevention Resource Center. Continuity of care for suicide prevention and research: Suicide attempts and suicide deaths subsequent to discharge from the emergency department or a psychiatry inpatient unit. 2010. Newton, MA: Education Development Center, Inc.