1. Bryson C, Boynton G, Stepczynski A ,et al. Geographical assignment of hospitalists in an urban teaching hospital: feasibility and impact on efficiency and provider satisfaction. Hosp Pract (1995). 2017;45(4):135-142.
2. Singh S, Tarima S, Rana V, et al. Impact of localizing general medical teams to a single nursing unit. J Hosp Med. 2012;7(7):551-556.
3. Mirabella AC, McAmis NE, Kiassat C, et al. Preferences to improve rounding efficiency amongst hospitalist: a survey analysis. J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2021;11(4):501-506. Mirabella AC, McAmis NE, Kiassat C, et al. Preferences to improve rounding efficiency amongst hospitalist: a survey analysis. J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2021;11(4):501-506.
4. Huang KTL, Minahan J, Brita-Rossi P, et al. All together now: impact of a regionalization and bedside rounding initiative on the efficiency and inclusiveness of clinical rounds. J Hosp Med. 2017;12(3):150-156.
5. O’Leary KJ, Wayne DB, Landler MP, et al. Impact of localizing physicians to hospital units on nurse-physician communication and agreement on the plan of care. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24(11):1223-1227.
6. Williams A, DeMott C, Whicker S, et al. The impact of resident geographic rounding on rapid responses. J Gen Intern Med. 2019;34(7):1077-1078.
7. Klein AJ, Veet C, Lu A, et al. The effect of geographic cohorting of inpatient teaching services on patient outcomes and resident experience [published online ahead of print January 24, 2022]. J Gen Intern Med.
8. Singh S, Fletcher KE. A qualitative evaluation of geographical localization of hospitalists: how unintended consequences may impact quality. J Gen Intern Med. 2014;29(7):1009-1016.
9. Coates E, Quisenberry E, Williams B, et al. Focusing hospitalist roles on either admitting or rounding facilitates unit-based assignment and is associated with improved discharge efficiency. Hosp Pract (1995). 2021;49(5):371-375.
10. Ibrahim H, Harhara T, Athar S, Nair SC, Kamour AM. Multi-Disciplinary Discharge Coordination Team to Overcome Discharge Barriers and Address the Risk of Delayed Discharges. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2022 Feb 2;15:141-149.
11. Wells M, Coates E, Williams B, et al. Restructuring hospitalist work schedules to improve care timeliness and efficiency. BMJ Open Qual. 2017;6(2):e000028.
12. van Walraven C. The influence of hospitalist continuity on the likelihood of patient discharge in general medicine patients. J Hosp Med. 2018;13(10):692-694.
13. Goodwin JS, Shuang Li, Yong-Fang K. Association of the work schedules of hospitalists with patient outcomes of hospitalization. JAMA Intern Med. 2020;180(2):215-222.
Dr. Welch has been a practicing emergency physician for over thirty years. She has written numerous articles and three books on ED quality, safety, and efficiency. She is a consultant with Quality Matters Consulting, and her expertise is in ED operations.