As emergency physicians, we are on the front lines. We treat affected patients; we need to be at the forefront of public policy recommendations at both state and national levels.
Dr. Roberts is an emergency physician at Southern Colorado Emergency Medicine Associates in Pueblo and a volunteer clinical assistant professor of emergency medicine at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.
- The legalization of marijuana in Colorado: the impact. Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Posada marijuana brief. Posada Pueblo website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- The health and social effects of nonmedical cannabis use. World Health Organization website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Knuth S. Nonstop Wellness to host medical marijuana exams this weekend. Canon City Daily Record website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Getting started with medical marijuana. Medical Jane website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Operation Cannabis medical marijuana benefits weed memes. Weed Memes website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Illnesses treatable with medical cannabis. United Patients Group website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Hall W, Degenhardt L. Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use. Lancet. 2009;374(9698):1383-1391.
- Volkow ND, Baler RD, Compton WM, et al. Adverse health effects of marijuana use. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(23):2219-2227.
- Wu TC, Tashkin DP, Djahed B, et al. Pulmonary hazards of smoking marijuana as compared with tobacco. N Engl J Med. 1988;318(6):347-351.
- Tapert SF, Schweinsburg AD, Drummond SP, et al. Functional MRI of inhibitory processing in abstinent adolescent marijuana users. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;194(2):173-183.
- Schweinsburg AD, Nagel BJ, Schweinsburg BC, et al. Abstinent adolescent marijuana users show altered fMRI response during spatial working memory. Psychiatry Res. 2008;163(1):40-51.
- Andréasson S, Allebeck P, Engström A, et al. Cannabis and schizophrenia. A longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts. Lancet. 1987;2(8574):1483-1486.
- Arseneault L, Cannon M, Poulton R, et al. Cannabis use in adolescence and risk for adult psychosis: Longitudinal prospective study. BMJ. 2002;325(7374):1212-1213.
- Zammit S, Allebeck P, Andreasson S, et al. Self reported cannabis use as a risk factor for schizophrenia in Swedish conscripts of 1969: historical cohort study. BMJ. 2002;325(7374):1199.
- Moore TH, Zammit S, Lingford-Hughes A, et al. Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review. Lancet. 2007;370(9584):319-328.
- Hasin DS, Saha TD, Kerridge BT, et al. Prevalence of marijuana use disorders in the United States between 2001–2002 and 2012–2013. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72(12):1235-1242.
- Swift W, Coffey C, Carlin JB, et al. Adolescent cannabis users at 24 years: trajectories to regular weekly use and dependence in young adulthood. Addiction. 2008;103(8):1361-1370.
- Thomas G, Kloner RA, Rezkalla S. Adverse cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, and peripheral vascular effects of marijuana inhalation: what cardiologists need to know. Am J Cardiol. 2014;113(1):187-190.
- Wang X, Derakhshandeh R, Liu J, et al. One minute of marijuana secondhand smoke exposure substantially impairs vascular endothelial function. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5(8):e003858.
- Volkow ND, Compton WM, Wargo EM. The risks of marijuana use during pregnancy. JAMA. 2017;317(2):129-130.
- Wang G, Le Lait MC, Deakyne SJ, et al. Unintentional pediatric exposures to marijuana in Colorado, 2009–2015. JAMA Pediatrics. 2016;170(9):e160971.