As emergency physicians, we are on the front lines. We treat affected patients; we need to be at the forefront of public policy recommendations at both state and national levels.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 36 – No 05 – May 2017
Dr. Roberts is an emergency physician at Southern Colorado Emergency Medicine Associates in Pueblo and a volunteer clinical assistant professor of emergency medicine at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.
- The legalization of marijuana in Colorado: the impact. Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Posada marijuana brief. Posada Pueblo website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- The health and social effects of nonmedical cannabis use. World Health Organization website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Knuth S. Nonstop Wellness to host medical marijuana exams this weekend. Canon City Daily Record website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Getting started with medical marijuana. Medical Jane website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Operation Cannabis medical marijuana benefits weed memes. Weed Memes website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Illnesses treatable with medical cannabis. United Patients Group website. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Hall W, Degenhardt L. Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use. Lancet. 2009;374(9698):1383-1391.
- Volkow ND, Baler RD, Compton WM, et al. Adverse health effects of marijuana use. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(23):2219-2227.
- Wu TC, Tashkin DP, Djahed B, et al. Pulmonary hazards of smoking marijuana as compared with tobacco. N Engl J Med. 1988;318(6):347-351.
- Tapert SF, Schweinsburg AD, Drummond SP, et al. Functional MRI of inhibitory processing in abstinent adolescent marijuana users. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;194(2):173-183.
- Schweinsburg AD, Nagel BJ, Schweinsburg BC, et al. Abstinent adolescent marijuana users show altered fMRI response during spatial working memory. Psychiatry Res. 2008;163(1):40-51.
- Andréasson S, Allebeck P, Engström A, et al. Cannabis and schizophrenia. A longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts. Lancet. 1987;2(8574):1483-1486.
- Arseneault L, Cannon M, Poulton R, et al. Cannabis use in adolescence and risk for adult psychosis: Longitudinal prospective study. BMJ. 2002;325(7374):1212-1213.
- Zammit S, Allebeck P, Andreasson S, et al. Self reported cannabis use as a risk factor for schizophrenia in Swedish conscripts of 1969: historical cohort study. BMJ. 2002;325(7374):1199.
- Moore TH, Zammit S, Lingford-Hughes A, et al. Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review. Lancet. 2007;370(9584):319-328.
- Hasin DS, Saha TD, Kerridge BT, et al. Prevalence of marijuana use disorders in the United States between 2001–2002 and 2012–2013. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72(12):1235-1242.
- Swift W, Coffey C, Carlin JB, et al. Adolescent cannabis users at 24 years: trajectories to regular weekly use and dependence in young adulthood. Addiction. 2008;103(8):1361-1370.
- Thomas G, Kloner RA, Rezkalla S. Adverse cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, and peripheral vascular effects of marijuana inhalation: what cardiologists need to know. Am J Cardiol. 2014;113(1):187-190.
- Wang X, Derakhshandeh R, Liu J, et al. One minute of marijuana secondhand smoke exposure substantially impairs vascular endothelial function. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5(8):e003858.
- Volkow ND, Compton WM, Wargo EM. The risks of marijuana use during pregnancy. JAMA. 2017;317(2):129-130.
- Wang G, Le Lait MC, Deakyne SJ, et al. Unintentional pediatric exposures to marijuana in Colorado, 2009–2015. JAMA Pediatrics. 2016;170(9):e160971.