Three cheers for 50 years! ACEP turns 50 this year, and we want you to join the party! There are lots of activities for everyone to join in the fun (and some chances to win big prizes too)!
Explore This IssueACEP18 Monday Daily News
For full descriptions and information on all 50th anniversary activities, check the onsite program or the ACEP18 mobile app.
The Photo Booth
Monday–Wednesday, 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Exhibit Lobby, San Diego Conference Center
Commemorate your experience with a special Photo Booth located in the Exhibit Lobby. Choose digital or print, grab a fun photo prop, pick a themed background, and strike a pose When you’re done, post your pic to social media (#ACEP50years, #ACEP18) or take your memory home to frame it. Remember to check out GE Healthcare’s Image of the Day while you’re there.
Sponsored by GE Healthcare.
The Museum of Emergency Medicine
Monday–Wednesday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Ballroom 20 Foyer, San Diego Conference Center
Explore the history of ACEP and emergency medicine in our incredible interactive museum. Tour the five decades of emergency medicine through photos, videos, stories and artifacts. Hear first-hand accounts of the fight to establish emergency medicine as a specialty from some of our 50-year members. Get a personal museum tour from our AI virtual docent Chatbot and compete in a trivia contest, all from your phone. To get started, text “Hello” to 619-272-2414.
Ribbon Cutting Celebration
Monday, 9–9:45 a.m.
Ballroom 20 Foyer, San Diego Conference Center (ticket required)
This invitation-only ribbon cutting ceremony will kick off our museum. There will be special book events and opportunities to take the history home with you.
History of Military Emergency Medicine
Monday–Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Exhibit Hall, San Diego Conference Center
The battlefield has served as a catalyst for emergency medicine as a distinct medical discipline and a crucible for refining existing medical knowledge. Government Services ACEP is proud to trace the evolution of military emergency medicine with a living walkthrough museum.
- Step past images of the Balad trauma bay doors and the floor of Trauma Bay II, into a Navy Shock Trauma Platoon tent equipped for patient care.
- See the evolution of portable ultrasound and experience the history of tourniquets from the Civil War up through Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Talk to Critical Care Air Transport Team emergency physicians who care for the critically wounded through the entire evacuation chain, from point of injury back to stateside.
- Learn about the history of battlefield medics and how their skills are being translated to civilian tactical EMS systems.
- Attend 10-minute mini lectures on the unique history of military emergency medicine and listen to Government Services ACEP members tell stories of providing emergency care to America’s heroes.
Anniversary General Session
Monday 10–10:50 a.m.
Ballroom 20B, San Diego Conference Center
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary with a special general session. Come listen to our extraordinary speaker, Mel Herbert, MBBS (MD) BmedSci, FACEP, who will take us on his lifelong quest for meaning. Through his remarkable tale, we will be reminded of the superhero nature of emergency medicine that lives inside each of us. Also, enjoy a short documentary celebrating emergency medicine and the physicians who practice it.
ACEP @ 50—The Backstory of Emergency Medicine: The Titans of the Past and the Renegades of Today
Room 14B, San Diego Conference Center
Join us for a moderated Q&A with some of the physicians featured in the Bring ‘Em All book and Brian J. Zink, MD, FACEP, author of Anyone, Anything, Anytime (non-CME).