- 5,172 motorcyclists were killed in traffic crashes in 2017, a 3% decrease from 2016. (source)
- Per vehicle miles traveled, motorcyclist fatalities were 27 times higher compared with passenger car occupant fatalities. (source)
- 1,872 motorcyclists’ lives were saved by using helmets. (source)
- Universal Helmet Use Could save the united states more than $1 billion each year. (source)
- 28% of motorcycle operators killed in 2017 had a blood alcohol level above the legal limit, compared with 21% of passenger car drivers. (source)
Compiled by Michael J. Mello, MD, professor of emergency medicine, and Dina Burstein, MD, MPH, CPSTI, FAA, assistant professor of emergency medicine, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.