My growing yoga practice triggered a wonderful journey, from a comical introductory class where I thought I would receive a new celestial name to networking with PhDs in endocrinology and joining the ACEP Well-Being Committee. The ever-apparent stresses of our profession levy a remarkable toll on our wellness unless an appropriate negating response is initiated. While I do not exist in a constant calm mode at work, yoga allows me to relax more, provide better care, and extend my longevity in medicine.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 34 – No 09 – September 2015
Dr. Bryan Balentine is a practicing emergency physician at UAB Medical West outside of Birmingham, Alabama.
Dr. Shawn Galin is an associate professor in the department of medicine at University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Arora M, Asha S, Chinnappa J, et al. Review article: burnout in emergency medicine physicians. Emerg Med Australas. 2013;25:491-495.
- Sharma P, Thaplival A, Chandra T, et al. Rhythmic breathing: immunological, biochemical, and physiological effects on health. Adv Mind Body Med. 2015;29:18-25.
- Greendale GA, Huang MH, Karlamangla AS, et al. Yoga decreases kyphosis in senior women and men with adult-onset hyperkyphosis: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009;57:1569-1579.
- Holcombe K. Breathe easy: relax with pranayama. Yoga Journal Web site. Accessed August 13, 2015.
- Mitchell L. Eight reasons why we use ujjayi breath in yoga. Mindbodygreen Web site. Accessed August 13, 2015.
- Sarubin N, Nothdurfter C, Schüle C, et al. The influence of Hatha yoga as an add-on treatment in major depression on hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity: a randomized trial. J Phsychiatr Res. 2014;53:76-83.
- Ross A, Thomas S. The health benefits of yoga and exercise: a review of comparison studies. J Altern Complement Med. 2010;16:3-12.
- Reddy S. Breathing for your better health: controlling your breath is an easy way to improve mental and physical health. The Wall Street Journal Web site. Accessed August 13, 2015.
- Noble MI. Abraham Guz memorial: still unresolved hypotheses: lung reflexes and perceptions of breathing. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2015;217:46-53.
- Yoga for the back: improving posture can improve your long-term health. Yoga U Web site. Accessed August 13, 2015.
Pages: 1 2 3 | Single Page
September 23, 2015Thomas Balentine
I am impressed by my son’s participation with yoga classes. I consider it surprising to both he and I as to the beneficial results of his interest in this type therapy. He continues to be sensitive to all physical, mental and spiritual aspects of health issues. This article even prompts a 74 year old senior to become better educated with the potential health improvement for my remaining years.
January 19, 2022Grow Practice
Thanks for sharing information about Benefits of Yoga for Emergency Physicians