Explore This IssueACEP News: Vol 31 – No 10 – October 2012
Dr. Sebastian Siadecki is an Ultrasound Fellow in the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital. Dr. Turandot Saul is a faculty member and the Ultrasound Fellowship Director in the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital. Dr. Resa Lewiss is a faculty member and the Director of the Ultrasound Division in the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital. Dr. Robert Solomon is Medical Editor of ACEP News and editor of the Focus On series, core faculty in the emergency medicine residency at Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, and Assistant Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia.
Dr. Siadecki, Dr. Saul, Dr. Lewiss, and Dr. Solomon have disclosed that they have no significant relationships with or financial interests in any commercial companies that pertain to this article.
ACEP makes every effort to ensure that contributors to College-sponsored programs are knowledgeable authorities in their fields. Participants are nevertheless advised that the statements and opinions expressed in this article are provided as guidelines and should not be construed as College policy. The material contained herein is not intended to establish policy, procedure, or a standard of care. The views expressed in this article are those of the contributors and not necessarily the opinion or recommendation of ACEP. The College disclaims any liability or responsibility for the consequences of any actions taken in reliance on those statements or opinions.
- Randazzo MR, Snoey ER, Levitt MA, Binder K. Accuracy of emergency physician assessment of left ventricular ejection fraction and central venous pressure using echocardiography. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2003;10:973-7.
- Ma OJ, Mateer JR, Blaivas M. Emergency Ultrasound. The McGraw Hill Companies, Inc.; 2008.
- Mark DG, Ku BS, Carr BG, et al. Directed bedside transthoracic echocardiography: Preferred cardiac window for left ventricular ejection fraction estimation in critically ill patients. Am. J. Emerg. Med. 2007;25:894-900.
- Moore CL, Rose GA, Tayal VS, et al. Determination of left ventricular function by emergency physician echocardiography of hypotensive patients. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2002;9:186-93.
- Secko MA, Lazar JM, Salciccioli LA, Stone MB. Can junior emergency physicians use E-point septal separation to accurately estimate left ventricular function in acutely dyspneic patients? Acad. Emerg. Med. 2011;18:1223-6.
- John G, Peter JV, Pichamuthu K, Chacko B. Tutorial 5 – Assessment of LV systolic function. ICU Sonography (www.criticalecho.com/content/tutorial-5-assessment-lv-systolic-function; accessed June 7, 2012).
CME Online Questionnaire
The CME test and evaluation form based on this article are located online at www.ACEP.org/focuson.