Credit: James Aronovsky
ACEP turns 50 this year, and we want you to join us for a look back at the history of emergency medicine.
For full descriptions and information on all 50th anniversary activities, check the onsite program or the ACEP18 mobile app.
The Photo Booth
Tuesday–Wednesday, 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Exhibit Lobby, San Diego Conference Center
Commemorate your experience with a special Photo Booth located in the Exhibit Lobby. Choose digital or print, grab a fun photo prop, pick a themed background, and strike a pose When you’re done, post your pic to social media (#ACEP50years, #ACEP18) or take your memory home to frame it. Remember to check out GE Healthcare’s Image of the Day while you’re there.
Sponsored by GE Healthcare.
The Museum of Emergency Medicine
Tuesday–Wednesday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Ballroom 20 Foyer, San Diego Conference Center
Explore the history of ACEP and emergency medicine in our incredible interactive museum. Tour the five decades of emergency medicine through photos, videos, stories and artifacts. Hear first-hand accounts of the fight to establish emergency medicine as a specialty from some of our 50-year members. Get a personal museum tour from our AI virtual docent Chatbot and compete in a trivia contest, all from your phone. To get started, text “Hello” to 619-272-2414.
History of Military Emergency Medicine
Monday–Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Exhibit Hall, San Diego Conference Center
The battlefield has served as a catalyst for emergency medicine as a distinct medical discipline and a crucible for refining existing medical knowledge. Government Services ACEP is proud to trace the evolution of military emergency medicine with a living walkthrough museum.
- Step past images of the Balad trauma bay doors and the floor of Trauma Bay II, into a Navy Shock Trauma Platoon tent equipped for patient care.
- See the evolution of portable ultrasound and experience the history of tourniquets from the Civil War up through Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Talk to Critical Care Air Transport Team emergency physicians who care for the critically wounded through the entire evacuation chain, from point of injury back to stateside.
- Learn about the history of battlefield medics and how their skills are being translated to civilian tactical EMS systems.
- Attend 10-minute mini lectures on the unique history of military emergency medicine and listen to Government Services ACEP members tell stories of providing emergency care to America’s heroes.
Hear from the past presidents and rebels of early emergency medicine. Listen to their stories, ask questions, and be witness to history.