The COVID-19 pandemic is front and center. The situation continues to change rapidly, but here is a rundown of ACEP’s COVID-19 resources and news as of early April:
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 39 – No 04 – April 2020
Our COVID-19 Clinical Alert page is updated daily with the newest resources. More than 200 resources are organized into the following categories:
- Member Updates: Includes ACEP statements on personal protective equipment (PPE) and physician protections, along with updates from ACEP’s federal and regulatory advocacy teams
- Breaking News: Latest news from AMA, ABEM, CMS, etc.
- Clinical Assessment and Management: Everything from remote consultation guides to ultrasound cleaning procedures
- Testing: CPT codes, guidelines, and more
- Personnel: PPE use and decontamination, peer support hotline, communication guides for talking to COVID patients and families
- ED/Hospital: Guides for rationing ventilators and beds, setting up inpatient video intercom
- Federal Updates: State licensure requirements, FDA advisories, OSHA guidance
- System/Community: Multilingual fact sheets, resources for the public
- EMS/Disaster: Information from JEMS, ASPR resources, EMS preparedness tips
- Literature: The latest published papers from JAMA, BMJ, NEJM, etc. organized by topic
- Patient/Diagnosis-Specific Resources: COVID-19 as it relates to pediatric, geriatric, sickle cell, palliative care, and substance abuse patients
Peer to Peer: Nearly 4,000 emergency physicians from across the world are sharing lessons learned, ED strategies, and personal experiences on the front lines in the COVID-19 Forum at engaged.acep.org.
For Your Families: Invite your family members to join the ACEP Families group on Facebook, a place to connect with others who understand the unique challenges of having a loved one on the front lines of this pandemic.
It’s important to prioritize your mental health right now because serving in the emergency department during this COVID-19 era is traumatic and tiring in so many ways.
- ACEP members receive three free counseling sessions, available 24/7 via text, online chat, or phone call with a National Board of Medical Examiners-certified wellness coach. This program is strictly confidential. Learn more at www.acep.org/support.
- Doxy.me has a free peer support program for physicians at https://doxy.me/physiciansupportline.
- Headspace has a free meditation collection at www.headspace.com/covid-19.
- The National Academy of Medicine has curated an extensive list of resources for system-level support at www.nam.edu.