Nominations for ACEP leadership awards, board of directors, and ED director of the year are due this month. Also, ED physicians working in freestanding emergency centers get their own section
Freestanding Emergency Centers Section Added
At its January meeting in Dallas, the ACEP Board of Directors approved the addition of a section for emergency physicians working in Freestanding Emergency Centers (FECs).
Slated to become ACEP’s 33rd section, the Freestanding Emergency Centers Section was formed under the leadership of emergency physician Joe Ybarra, MD, of Harlingen, Texas. Dr. Ybarra expects the new section to begin with 119 members. The main objectives of the new FEC Section are to:
- Host a collaborative dialogue regarding pertinent FEC issues optimizing emergency-medicine values as espoused by ACEP.
- Educate ACEP members, the medical community, and the public about what FECs are, what they do, and how they fit into the patient’s circle of health care providers.
- Collaborate with ACEP leadership in establishing a national set of standards for FECs that could be referred to as a unified national resource for legislatures, physicians, and the medical community.
- Keep ACEP membership relevant to those who don’t practice in hospital emergency departments and to keep ACEP as a voice for all ED physicians (whether they practice in hospital EDs or FECs).
For more information on this section or to join, go to: www.acep.org/freestanding section.
Award and ACEP Leadership Position Nominations Deadlines Coming This Month
- Nominations for ACEP’s Board of Directors are due Feb. 14.
- Nominations for 2014 Leadership Awards also are due Feb. 14.
- The deadline to nominate your colleague for Outstanding Emergency Department Director of the Year is Feb. 17.
The ACEP Nominating Committee is accepting individual, chapter, and section recommendations for Board of Directors candidates. Nominations must be accompanied by a current curriculum vitae. To qualify for a Board position, a candidate must:
- Be highly motivated to serve ACEP and be committed for three years for a Board position;
- Be an ACEP member in good standing with no delinquent dues;
- Be an ACEP member for at least five years;
- Show evidence of ACEP involvement in both national and chapter activities (such as current or past chapter officer, current or past national committee leadership, current or past Council membership, or current or past section leadership); and
- Show chapter and/or section support for candidacy.
Please submit nominations to:
Kevin Klauer, DO, EJD, FACEP
Chair: ACEP Nominating Committee
PO Box 619911
Dallas, TX 75261-9911