Dr. Redwood is an emergency and preventive medicine physician and associate medical director of emergency medicine at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton, Massachusetts.
Explore This IssueACEP Now: Vol 39 – No 02 – February 2020
Dr. May is professor of emergency medicine and director of emergency department antibiotic and outpatient stewardship at UC Davis Health in Sacramento.
Dr. Pulia is director of the emergency department antibiotic stewardship program at the BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine at University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Shrivastava SR, Shrivastava PS, Ramasamy J. World Health Organization releases global priority list of antibiotic-resistant bacteria to guide research, discovery, and development of new antibiotics. J Med Soc. 2018;32(1):76-77.
- Ofori-Asenso R. “When the bug cannot be killed”—the rising challenge of antimicrobial resistance. Medicines (Basel). 2017;4(2): pii:E40.
- Livermore DM, British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy Working Party on The Urgent Need: Regenerating Antibacterial Drug Discovery and Development. Discovery research: the scientific challenge of finding new antibiotics. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66(9):1941-1944.
- May L, Cosgrove S, L’Archeveque M, et al. A call to action for antimicrobial stewardship in the emergency department: approaches and strategies. Ann Emerg Med. 2013;62(1):69-77.
- Pulia M, Redwood R, May L. Antimicrobial stewardship in the emergency department. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2018;36(4):853-872.
- Dawson-Hahn EE, Mickan S, Onakpoya I, et al. Short-course versus long-course oral antibiotic treatment for infections treated in outpatient settings: a review of systematic reviews. Fam Pract. 2017;34(5):511-519.
- Havey TC, Fowler RA, Daneman N. Duration of antibiotic therapy for bacteremia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2011;15(6):R267.
- Michael M, Hodson EM, Craig JC, et al. Short compared with standard duration of antibiotic treatment for urinary tract infection: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Arch Dis Child. 2002;87(2):118-123.
- Moran GJ, Krishnadasan A, Mower WR, et al. Effect of cephalexin plus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole vs cephalexin alone on clinical cure of uncomplicated cellulitis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2017;317(20):2088-2096.
- Pallin DJ, Binder WD, Allen MB, et al. Clinical trial: comparative effectiveness of cephalexin plus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole versus cephalexin alone for treatment of uncomplicated cellulitis: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56(12):1754-1762.
- Nicolle LE, Gupta K, Bradley SF, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the management of asymptomatic bacteriuria: 2019 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2019;68(10):e83-e110.
- Webb BJ, Sorensen J, Mecham I, et al. Antibiotic use and outcomes after implementation of the drug resistance in pneumonia score in ED patients with community-onset pneumonia. Chest. 2019;156(5):843-851.
- Spurling GK, Del Mar CB, Dooley L, et al. Delayed antibiotic prescriptions for respiratory infections. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;9:CD004417.
- Davis LC, Covey RB, Weston JS, et al. Pharmacist-driven antimicrobial optimization in the emergency department. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2016;73(5 Suppl 1):S49-56.
- Randolph TC, Parker A, Meyer L, et al. Effect of a pharmacist-managed culture review process on antimicrobial therapy in an emergency department. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011;68(10):916-919.